Sunday Side Up: Sweet or Savory Tofu Pancakes
Despite the deliciousness of pancakes, sometimes they can be a little boring when always paired with the classic butter and syrup combination. Well, what if a pancake only required three ingredients, had great flavor on its own and was also neutral enough to be served with a variety of different toppings? These pancakes do just that. Plus, using tofu not only adds protein, but also allows these pancakes to be easily made either savory or sweet. Top the tofu pancakes with a fried egg and bacon for a well-balanced breakfast, or try this homemade strawberry compote and powdered sugar combination for a Sunday morning treat.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 10-12 pancakes
1 block firm tofu
½ cup flour (I used gluten-free)
4 (approximate) tablespoons olive or coconut oil for cooking
1. Remove tofu from package and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Mash tofu completely with potato masher or fork.
3. Add eggs and flour, then fully combine.
4. Heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
5. Once oil is heated, pour about a ¼ cup of batter per pancake, for as many pancakes fit in your pan. Spread batter so pancake is about a ¼ inch thick.
6. Cook each side about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Repeat process until all the batter is used up, re-greasing the pan between each batch.